The Building and Inspection services deals primarily with the regulation and inspection of new construction and renovations, alterations, additions, and changes in occupancy of existing buildings.
Parry La Fond
Ph: 250-362-7396 ext 1237
Email Building Inspector
When do I need a Building Permit?
A Building Permit is required to:
- construct a new home
- construct a new accessory building such as a carport, garage or storage shed;
- construct a farm building;
- construct a commercial, industrial or public use building;
- renovate existing buildings;
- undertake any structural work such as interior partitions;
- enclose a porch or roof over a sundeck;
- move a building;
- locate a mobile home;
- roofing and re-roofing a structure;
- reconstruct after damage (i.e. fire);
- exterior finish, such as stucco or siding.
A Building Permit is not required when you do non-structural work such as:
- Landscaping, sidewalks, driveways
- Fencing (fence height must comply with Regional District/Municipal zoning bylaws where applicable);
A Plumbing Permit is required:
- with new houses, additions, renovations when drawings indicate fixtures;
- when a plumbing system is constructed, extended, altered, renewed, or a connection made to a sewer or sewage disposal system.
A Plumbing Permit is not required:
- When a fixture, valve or faucet is repaired or replaced, a stoppage cleared or a leak repaired if no change in the piping is required.
For more information and access to incentives and rebates, see below:
Fortis BC Incentives page
Terasen Gas Offers page
Make the Switch to Natural Gas
Fortis BC Insulation Rebate
Fortis BC Energy Star Windows Rebate
Fortis BC Solar Hot Water Rebate