How the City Council Process Works
Council Meetings are held at 7:00 p.m. on the 2nd and 4th Mondays of each month in Council Chambers at City Hall. Members of the public wishing to attend Council meetings may view a copy of the agenda online or obtain a copy from the front counter of City Hall. To find out if the Agenda is available, contact the City Office at 250-362-7396 on the Friday afternoon preceding the Monday Council meeting. The Council Agenda may also be viewed at the Rossland Public Library.
For the benefit of members of the public who are unable to attend Council meetings Minutes of the meetings are posted on the web site shortly after the minutes are approved by Council.
A Public Hearing is a Special Council meeting that serves as a forum for members of the public to provide input to Council on all matters relating to land use.
Public Hearings are held prior to Regular Meetings when necessary in Council Chambers at City Hall. A Public Hearing agenda is made public through a notice that is published in the Rossland Record approximately one to two weeks before the Public Hearing.
Delegations, Petitions and Public Participation
A person or organization wishing to be heard by Council may address Council as a delegation or during the Public Participation period of the Regular Meeting. The following is the procedure for such presentations:
- Any person wishing to present a petition to a regular meeting shall inform the Corporate Officer of the:
- subject of the petition; and
- name and residential address of each person who has signed the petition, no later than noon on the Thursday immediately preceding the meeting.
2. Any delegation wishing to appear at a regular meeting shall inform the Corporate Officer of the:
- subject of the delegation; and
- name and residential address of the speaker, no later than noon on the Thursday immediately preceding the meeting.
3. The Council shall not receive a petition or delegation unless this section has been complied with unless otherwise resolved by Council.
4. Unless the Council otherwise resolves, the maximum number of delegations that will be allowed to make a presentation at one scheduled meeting of Council is three (3) delegations. The maximum time for presentations of a petition or appearance of a delegation before Council is five (5) minutes, excluding questions from Council. Additional time is at the pleasure of Council.
5. Delegations invited to attend a regular meeting of Council to provide information or present a report on a specific topic as requested by Council, shall not be restricted to the limitations contained in subsections (2), (3) and (4).
6. Council shall not act on a request from a delegation until the next regular meeting, unless consent by unanimous resolution is given to consider the matter.
7. This section does not apply to public hearings conducted by Council under the Local Government Act.
1. Council shall hold a fifteen (15) minute public participation period at the commencement of a regular meeting of Council.
2. During the public input period when recognized by the presiding member, persons may address Council to comment on any matter coming within the competence of Council. Speakers must state their name and address and will be allowed two (2) minutes. Additional time is at the pleasure of Council.
3. Council may, by unanimous resolution, agree to extend the length of the public input period.
4. Members of the public shall address their questions through the Member chairing the Council Meeting and if the question can be answered either by that Member or through that Member, the Council shall do so.
5. Where Council is unable to address a question, the question shall be referred to staff for answer or subsequent research and report.
6. From the close of nominations preceding a general local election or by-election, the Public Input Period shall be suspended until the meeting of Council following the election.
Please note that complete copies of bylaws, resolutions, supporting staff reports and other background material are available from the City Clerk.