2013 PROPERTY TAXES
The PROPERTY TAX NOTICES have been mailed out and any property owner who has not received their notice should contact the City Office by phone at 250-362-7396, by fax at 250-362-5451 or by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please be advised that NEW OWNERS are responsible for unpaid taxes.
The DUE DATE for paying the 2013 taxes is 4:00 p.m., Tuesday, July 2, 2013. After that date, a 10% penalty will be added to all unpaid taxes INCLUDING unclaimed Homeowner Grants. Postmarks are not accepted as date of payment. If you are unable to pay your 2013 taxes prior to the due date, if eligible, you should apply for the Homeowner Grant to avoid penalty on that portion of the taxes.
Property owners can claim their Homeowner Grant online. You will need the last 8 digits of the Roll Number including the decimal and Access Code (both numbers are located on the front of your Tax Statement in the top right corner) to access your account and submit your home owner grant online.
Property Owners with mortgages are responsible to see that they claim their Homeowner Grant before the tax due date, even though their mortgage company pays their taxes. Tax Prepayment Plan participants are also reminded to claim their Homeowner Grant before the tax due date and pay any remaining payable amount.
The City accepts cash, debit card, cheques and post-dated cheques at the City Office. You can pay your property taxes using internet banking or telephone banking, please contact your financial institution for more information. If paying property taxes by internet or telephone banking, your eleven digit roll number that begins with 229 is your account number and please allow 5 business days for your payment to be processed.
Tax amounts outstanding on July 3, 2013 will be subject to a 10% penalty
PROPERTY TAX AND UTILITY INFORMATION
It is now possible to look at general property information including property taxes and utilities online.
- For general information on a property including the current year tax amount, choose the property tax button and then search.
- For utility information you will need your 14 digit account number and 5 digit access code that appears on your invoice.
- For property tax information you will need your 11 digit roll number and 5 digit access code that appears on your tax notice.
Please note that the average utility amount shown is not correct and the average monthly utility invoice for water-sewer-garbage for a single family dwelling is approximately $50.00 per month.
CLICK HERE TO ACCESS PROPERTY TAX AND UTILITY INFORMATION
CLAIM YOUR HOME OWNER GRANT ONLINE
You will need the last 8 digits of the Roll Number including the decimal and Access Code (both numbers are located on the front of your Tax Statement in the top right corner) to access your account and submit your home owner grant online. If you claim your homeowner grant online, it is not necessary to submit the paper copy of the application form to the City office.
Note: This service is only available from late May to December 31st each year. However, grants claimed after the July due date are subject to a 10% penalty.
The City of Rossland is accepting applications for 2014 Permissive Tax Exemption and the 2014 Revitalization Tax Exemption program.
In order to qualify for permissive tax exempt status, all of the following criteria must be met:
- Must be a registered charity or non-profit society
- Is the registered owner of the property or a tenant under a lease requiring taxes be paid directly to the City of Rossland
- Must qualify for an exemption under the provisions of the Community Charter (Part 7, Division 7, Section 224)
The revitalization tax exemption program (Bylaw #2488) is meant to encourage investment and revitalization of certain properties in order to stimulate the Rossland economic climate. In order to qualify for revitalization tax exemption, the following criteria must be met:
- Applies to Class 4 (industrial), Class 5 (light industrial), Class 6 (business) and Class 8 (recreation & non-profit) properties only
- Minimum increase in taxable assessed value due to investment in revitalization of $10,000.
Further information and the application forms are available below or at City Hall, 1899 Columbia Avenue, Rossland. The deadline for application submissions for both programs is July 31, 2013.